fredag den 11. januar 2013

The story of Anton by Charlotte Laursen,owner

Anton

Translated by Michelle Otterstrøm Jensen

Wednesday evening:
Carsten was out for his usual evening walk with ”Anton”. At one point he came home, covered
in blood. At first, I though he may have fallen off his bicycle, but that was not the case.
He had a large gash and a bite wounds in one of his fingers. We rinsed the blood off and
wrapped the finger in paper towels, as Carsten prepared for a trip to the emergency room in
Glostrup. While doing so, Casten told me shortly that our dog had been in a fight with
another dog, but he didn’t have time to go into detail. My oldest son had been startled and
was pretty shook up, so he wanted to go to the hospital with his dad, in case there was
anything he could do to help.
Carsten and our son had just gotten into the car, when “J” came into the drive on his bicycle.
The car door had not yet been closed, and “J” grabbed onto it while speaking to Carsten
through the opening. I couldn’t hear what they were saying, but I could see by his face, that
“J” was angry. As he spotted me in the kitchen window, “J” let go of the door and came into
the house to me, where he preceded to act in a threatening manner towards me and Anton. Anton
lay quietly on his pillow by the door, just watching us.
We had company that evening, and I asked our guest to remain in the kitchen because “J” was
very aggressive and yelling oudly. He repeatedly yelled that we had a vicious dog, that we
had to pay for damages, and that he would bring the bill up to the house. He asked if we were
insured, and I told him that, yes, we had the statutory insurance. My answer was not enough
to satisfy him, because he then told me he wanted cash when he brought the bill. This was a
little incomprehensible to me and I answered that I knew nothing of what was going on. I
promised him that I would send Carsten by to talk about it, once he had returned from the
hospital. “J” left, but was very angry.
Let it be known, that he does not know my dog, who is neither vicious nor aggressive…
After about an hour, “B” comes by to tell me that it was necessary for them to leave their dog
with the vet. It needed to have its’ ear stitched and the bill would be 8000 DKK, which she
expected us to pay. At no point did she ask how Carsten and his finger were doing, nor did
she ask if Anton was unscathed. She wanted me to tell Carsten to come to their house
immediately after he came home, but I told her that he would only come by that evening if it
were not too late, and if he were not in too much pain. Could he not come by that night, he
would come by the following day instead. “B” remarked that we should treat them politely,
which once again left me baffled. At no point had I spoken harshly or rudely – quite to the
contrary, in fact. I didn’t want to say too much, or the wrong thing, since I had not been a
witness to what had happened. What I HAD noticed, was that Anton had some bite marks on his
leg. The bites didn’t seem too serious, and I would treat them myself, rather than bring him
to the vet.
The next day, Carsten went to the house of “J” and “B”, but after speaking with “B”, they
reached no agreement.
They don’t accept that they are partly at fault. We don’t disclaim responsibility. Yes, our
dog bit their dog – but only after their dog came sprinting out of their house on a dark
night, and attacking our dog.

This is not the first time their dog has left their property and come out onto the street!
We know, and they know, that our dogs don’t get along. We have been lucky those earlier times
that their dog has come out onto the street, either through their hedge or through the door.
They cannot call the dog back, but have to physically retieve it.
A few days after this incident, their dog was once again past the boundaries of their
poroperty. They had no fence, and they still don’t! Our dog never crossed their property
line, but was attacked on the street.

We are a family who find this situation incomprehensible, and we feel that our sense of
justice has been violated. The fact that Carsten was bit in the finger by their dog has been
completely overlooked. Our children are very affected by this case and coming home to an
empty house every day. Some days they can’t manage to go to school because of headaches or
tummy-aches, and we spend hours consoling them. We all miss Anton very much!
Police district Vestegnen mention in a letter, that our dog attacked the other dog without
provocation or motivation. That is just not true! Our dog felt threated as it was attacked
from behind. I think anybody, person or dog, would have reacted in the same manner Anton did.
If I come walking down a dark lane and someone comes quickly at me from behind, snorting and
panting, I would defend myself.

We live in a small town and I have heard from several people that it was just a matter of time
before a case like this arose, since it is not the first time that their dog has come onto
public property unattended – either through the house or the hedge. Unfortunately, those same
people will not bear witness, as they know the family and do not wish to get caught in the
middle of this case.
I would be very saddened and disheartened if another family has to live through this
experience, but unfortunately I am convinced that history will repeat itself if they do not
fence their yard, since they have no control over the dog otherwise.

Note:
If a German Sheppard bites a Pomeranian to death, the deed may go unpunished. Why is it then,
that Anton is condemned to death for defending himself against a dog known vicious?

2 kommentarer:

  1. What actually happened to Anton. It is like there is a gap in the story. One moment she treated his bite wounds herself, the next moment he is gone and they miss him?

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. he was terminated due to the fact he defended himself, even if the other dog, a frenc bulldoh, is a known aggressive dog

      Slet